Friday 2 February 2024

  

Looking back 50 years - who remembers the 'Three-Day Week ?  My short story:
At the end of 1973 I began a new job. Which strictly speaking was the same job as I'd had before but with a different company, only now in the fashionable surroundings of the Kings Road, Chelsea with the main account of this small design studio being RCA Records. All very exciting ! David Bowie, Lou Reed and signed from the Pye label in 1971 The Kinks.
However my early months there were interrupted by the UK government's '3-day working week' ruling to conserve electricity generated by coal, which was being effected by industrial action from coal miners and railway workers. This involved working by angle-pose lamp with candles ready to light in case of a knock on the studio door and being caught with our lights on. Also rather than working on posters, points of sale and record sleeves for the above notable artists I found myself in the company of Perry Como, Jack Jones and Charles Aznavour, all very squares-ville, RCA ! I wasn't a fan of John Denver either, far from it, yet 5 years later I converted to 'Coloradoism' as I found his lyrics and songs making far more sense whilst travelling in the States - as we all went to look for America. 'Rocky Mountain High' best describes my conversion.
"John Denver's Greatest Hits" is the first hits album by American singer-songwriter John Denver, released in November 1973 by RCA Records. 'Rocky Mountain High' closes the album. 
This lyric video is great > 


NB: The 'Three-Day Week' was 1 January to 7 March 1974 (see article).  

No comments:

Post a Comment