Friday 26 January 2024

  

From Prog-Rock and Symphonic Pop through Punk, New Wave and Heavy Metal to Electronica and Hip-Hop, Grime and Dubstep, Nightingale embraced them all. I'm quoting this from the Times obituary to Annie Nightingale, the first female disc jockey to break into the 'boys club' of BBC Radio 1, who recently died. She went on to outlast them all and remain on air for more than four decades. 
It occurred to me that this was a musical itinerary experienced by many of us of a similar age. Personally I'd have to insert Folk in there and the Blues, but the rest all fits. 
Elsewhere in the obituary it mentions her listening to 'up' music. She says: 
"I'm not a great fan of very down, depressing music. So I love uplifting music, music that makes me feel happier. And 'Three Little Birds'… I can't think of another song ever by anybody that makes you feel so happy. If ever I put together a mixtape – say someone is ill, or down, or depressed, or something, needs a lift – then that is the tune I play them."
Bob Marley & The Wailers – 'Three Little Birds' is today's Star Track 


No comments:

Post a Comment