Friday 10 May 2024

  

Today's Star Track is The Spencer Davis Group and 'I'm A Man' - but how did I get here ?
Well it all starts with hearing a piece of music in an episode of 'Heartbeat'. This instrumental required 'Shazam' to tell me it was called 'Waltz for Lumumba' and it appeared on a Steve Winwood 'Best of' release from 2010. 
Intrigued I set off in search of more info and here it gets a tad convoluted, so I won't bore you with it all. I discovered it had appeared on a CD album reissue of 'The Spencer Davis Group: Autumn ‘66' and named 'Waltz for Lumumba (Waltz for Caroline)' which indicated it had been recycled and renamed in 1968 when the group supplied most of the soundtrack to the film 'Here We Go 'Round The Mulberry Bush'. Same track renamed ‘for Caroline’ (referring to ‘posh' Caroline Beauchamp: Angela Scoular) in the movie. The jazzy percussion and organ sound typical of wild party scenes in films involving people getting high on psychedelia and dancing in a world of their own. Listen to the track here
Further to this I also found a website that had a 1970 single release from New Zealand with 'Waltz for Lumumba' as a 'B' side to (you guessed it) 'I'm A Man'.  
The original 'I'm A Man' single released in January 1967 had been backed by 'I Can't Get Enough of It' and reached No.9 in the UK and peaked at No.10 in the US Billboard charts. 
All this said I best remember the 1970 single version by Chicago - known at the time of release as Chicago Transit AuthoritySearches often reveal Bo Diddley's ‘I’m A Man’ from 1955, rocked up by The Yardbirds in 1965 to add to the confusion. 
After all this we got there.... The Spencer Davis Group and 'I'm A Man' - and here's another one of those excellent Swinging London, King's Road videos to accompany the song. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment