Friday 31 May 2024

  

And finally to the childhood memory I promised at the beginning of the month. 
In May 1964, having just completed the 11 Plus exams, I had a family holiday to Hastings. Precisely when we went required a bit of research, so I went to the Hastings library and flicking through microfiche copies of the Hastings & St. Leonard's Observer from that year, I am now accurately able to tell you. 
My own memory of this holiday was I remember it rained. A lot ! So much so we did the unheard of holiday activity of going to the cinema. The week commencing 31st May the film 'Zulu' was showing at the De Luxe cinema on the Sea Front. So this had to be the time of our holiday because you don't forget a film like 'Zulu'. 

I also remember the jukebox in the clubhouse of the Combe Haven Holiday Park where we stayed and therefore the music we listened to. Many a sixpence was spent playing songs I liked. Then midweek a man shows up and changes the records on the jukebox and this new release from The Hollies was added. ‘Here I Go Again’ released on 15th May 1964 entered the hit parade a week later.
On hearing this track I'm right back there, my eleven and a half year old self, hovering by the jukebox waiting expectantly for my selection to play. 
Thank you Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, Tony Hicks, Eric Haydock & Bobby Elliott. Never saw this in colour before 😃 


Postscript: I also found out that the week previously the Kinks had appearing on the Hastings Pier - their 3rd single 'You Really Got Me' still more than two months away. 

1 comment:

  1. Your not going to believe this but I think it's in my sixties vinyl box

    ReplyDelete