Friday 21 August 2020


Playing their part on last week's song, Cliff Richard's backing band and credited on 'Please Don't Tease' were The Shadows. And remarkably their single released that summer would be the one to knock Cliff's record off the top of the charts in August 1960 - and remain at No.1 for six weeks. Instrumental tracks enjoyed huge success in the early 60s, pre Beatles era. I was a big Shads fan.
'Apache' was that Shadows record. Written by Jerry Lordan, the title "Apache" reflects the source of Lordan's inspiration: the 1954 American western film of that name. 
Lead guitarist Hank Marvin developed a distinctive sound using an echo chamber and the tremolo arm of his Fender Stratocaster. Bruce Welch played rhythm guitar, Jet Harris bass and Tony Meehan on drums, completing the original line-up of The Shadows in this very cool black and white video >



My father bought this record, presumably for the same 6s 3d (32p) as I paid for my first single. I have inherited this record - here I am clutching the Columbia multi coloured circled sleeve tightly in my hands.




Just for fun here's a version of 'Apache' from a 1961 TV show, with Cliff (wearing Hank's glasses) trying his luck at playing the track:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbYXqPIqHsE


No comments:

Post a Comment