Friday 7 August 2020


Last weeks Star Track 'Man of the World' peaked at No.2 on the UK singles chart on 28th May 1969. The weeks following this I was taking my exams at school and then Thunderclap Newman came out with 'Something in the Air'.
But this Summer of '69 was not like many others. It was my last before starting work, doing a job I'd love, for the best part of the next 48 years. Getting radio plays and rave reviews was The Moody Blues 'On the Threshold of a Dream'. I don't recall when I bought this LP but I did and it must have accompanied this summer. 
The album closes with a four part sequence: 'The Dream', 'Have You Heard - part 1', 'The Voyage' and 'Have You Heard - part 2': (most vinyl pressings of the album continue the atmospheric play-out sound into the album's run-out groove, causing it to play continuously until the record player's tonearm was lifted - mine does this).
When I first 'heard' this track I was 16 years old - now older and hopefully wiser, I love the sentiment just as much.
Here's a great video someone has put together.

 > Is it me or coincidence that the girl who appears (7.30) resembles Sweden's Greta Thunberg ?
NB: hopefully your video is not interrupted by a YouTube ad mid-play. 


No comments:

Post a Comment