Friday 29 July 2016


Last week's warm weather in England has reminded me of the summer of 1976 when we had a heatwave that lasted months. See: http://billblogs2.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/summertime-1976.html
This endless summer and Californian climate must have had an effect on everyone. The Beach Boys "20 Golden Greats" LP, released in June of '76, topped the UK Album chart on July 24 and remained there for 10 weeks.
But we've heard all those Beach Boys hits, so (here comes the link) in the spirit of it's lyrics, I've picked a song from the same year: "Long May You Run" by the Stills-Young Band.

Maybe the Beach Boys have got you now
With those waves singing 'Caroline No'
Rolling down that empty ocean road…


The song is actually about a car. A 1948 Buick Roadmaster, to be precise, Neil Young's first car.
* For me in 1976, little did I realise, 'rolling down that empty ocean road' was real and would soon be happening to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment