Friday 5 July 2024

  

'Big American Car Music' - that's what Dylan Jones called it in his book 'iPod, Therefore I Am' that I mentioned back in March saying 'no doubt this will come up again'. And so this week we are out there 'On the Road' again. 
Dylan Jones' is obsessed with lists (certainly more so than me) and he did provided some new songs for me. Which led me to compile a list of 'classic' road songs, you know and love, and then more recent 'contemporary' tracks. I won't list them here, you know the classics I'm sure (listening to Steppenwolf and Springsteen or perhaps just the one cassette tape full of Creedence Clearwater Revival), that would have accompanied those road trips across America. Tomorrow actually marks the anniversary of an epic 'Coast to Coast' drive in 1978 (again mentioned in these blogs previously). 
My list was of mostly American bands, though not exclusively (Free, Bad Company and Eric Clapton aside) and the book speaks of “Then I went to America and it all made perfect sense", the music filled the car as the freeways rushed under the wheels. 
The book has various suggestions for the perfect car tape by listing different States and places with appropriate music for them. Adding at the end of the book a full 50 more you'll need: "Appendix 14: Drive Time" !
This was how I heard about 'Hoover Dam' by Sugar, an American alternative rock band formed in 1992, they were led by the singer and guitarist Bob Mould. Power guitar, big choruses, great words, on 'Copper Blue' - 1992 NME album of the year ! So how did I miss this ? Well I do have a distinct feeling I've heard it before... 
Geographical references are a must for any road music and this underrated album is loaded with great tracks. With 'Hoover Dam' managing to ask about the deal at the most famous ‘crossroads’ in music (Clarksdale, Mississippi: highways 49 & 61).
At times this track's vocals remind me of Marillion - hope you like Sugar 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment