Friday 28 July 2023

  

I'm at the northern tip of the UK mainland. I've just walked into 'The Last House' in John O'Groats, which since 2019 has been home to a new brewery, bar and visitor centre. 
Amidst various bottles of beer and related merchandise there's a screen showing a video of the local area with music playing that has my ear. This is how I got to hear John O'Groats local band Neon Waltz and learn via a promotional postcard that NME called them "Scotland's coolest new gang" in 2015 and their 2017 'Strange Hymns' record being nominated for Scottish Album of the Year.  
My first thought was they reminded me of Explosions in the Sky, but that was instrumentally. All the songs I've listened to are more vocal, but this track sounds more like what I first heard. 
'Perfect Frame' from 'Strange Hymns'. Bit of a psychedelic video happening too. 


* YouTube has more videos and a new LP is due in September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment