Friday 11 November 2022

  

November 14th, 1952 – the first UK Singles Chart is published in the New Music Express. It is published as a Top 12, although it comprises 15 singles - because of ties at No. 7; No. 8 and No. 11. The No. 1 is Al Martino's 'Here In My Heart' and the first No. 2 is Jo Stafford's 'You Belong To Me'. The NME chart is henceforth viewed as the start of the Official Singles Chart lineage. 
As that first chart of single record sales goes it's not very Pop and it certainly doesn't Rock or Roll, so I'm jumping forward five years to one I remember from my parent's collection. A 78rpm [DB 3980 on the Columbia label] - another UK No.1, occupying top spot for 9 weeks in 1957* - 'Diana' by Paul Anka.
I actually have my parent's original 78 shellac record, still plays too, complete with the very same outer sleeve seen here in this retro video. Let's play the record player... 


Fun Fact: DJ Bob Harris bought his first 78rpm disc in 1957. It was Paul Anka's 'Diana' (which apparently, he still has, too). 
* Replacing 'Diana' at No.1 at the beginning of November in 1957 was 'That'll Be The Day' by Buddy Holly & the Crickets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment