Friday 12 August 2022

   

Billed as the "11th National Jazz, Blues, Folk & Rock Festival" - Reading. Now simply known as the 'Reading Festival' this was my first such event in August 1972.
See this poster of the line-up and the £3.25 paid for the entire weekend*. 


"Arriving with 3 mates from London on Friday evening having been searched (for drugs) at Reading Station, a delay that caused me to miss the start of the Genesis set. Hurrying into the arena to the strains of 'The Musical Box', having nearly as hurriedly pitched the tent for the weekend, I did catch the end of their performance followed by that of Mungo Jerry and Curved Air
Having consulted various websites for further memory joggers I must confess a lot of the weekend and the music is a bit of a blur. Focus were good, as were The Faces. I recall John Peel as one of the compares but aside from Status Quo I remember little about Sunday beyond the Ten Years After set being quite late on and us leaving to catch a train back to London before if was to late."

PS: Diplomacy stops me revealing the names of my fellow festival goers, who would edge me out of the end of the tent on both nights, due to the limited space at our disposal. Here lies a possible reason for my memory loss, being down to a lack of sleep.
 
Some music then from The Faces setlist (link) - as the band played various tracks before ending with Rod Stewart's recent solos successes. Their third number of the night was the excellent 'Stay with Me' > such a good instrumental intro


While looking for this track I came across another version from the Foo Fighters with Chad Smith guesting on drums and Taylor Hawkins on vocals (click here for that). 

➤ NB: Billed as the 11th but actually the 12th (see more on that here)
* This years Reading Festival will cost you £259 for a weekend ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment