Friday 18 October 2019


"Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin"

Once upon a time in a land of make believe when the guitar players sat down, the drummer sang backing vocals and the lead singer told fanciful stories, this was the beginning of Genesis, and a revelation.
I discovered the band rather by chance and have numerous tales I could tell (but not for here, though if you'd like me to bore you rigid anytime, I'd happily oblige).
This is more about a recent PROG magazine poll taken by 40,000 readers to vote for their favourite Genesis songs. The magazine then compiled a Top 40 list.
Having discovered the band in 1971, with the 'Nursery Cryme' LP, I bought their earlier album 'Trespass' and all their subsequent releases up to the 1977 "...and then there were three". While Peter Gabriel leaving the band was less of a problem, this slightly disappointing album suffered due to the departure of guitarist Steve Hackett. I didn't buy any Genesis LPs after this ! So I was especially interesting to hear tracks in this Top 40 selected from 'Duke' in 1980 and beyond.
Now I know I try not to repeat a band or artist on the FMS and students out there will have spotted that this has not been set in stone. Pink Floyd, Joe Bonamassa, Rod Stewart have all appeared more than once and though we have had a Genesis track: 'Firth of Fifth' - this was in fact the Steve Hackett Band while Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel were solo releases. (links highlighted) we haven't actually had Genesis on ! Clever reasoning right?
In reviewing those later songs I found this excellent Special Edit travelogue video spanning the years to 2007: A scary looking Phil Collins and sticking with the drum theme of the last few weeks, some brilliant duel drumming from Phil and Chester Thompson.
Take it away Genesis - 'Duke's Travels/End 'live'.

No comments:

Post a Comment