Friday 24 May 2019


According to London's 'TimeOut' magazine in May 1719 the private Royal road from Whitehall to Hampton Court was opened for use by the public. The part known today as the King's Road, Chelsea is therefore 300 years old this month.

Just the flimsy excuse needed for this:
I've worked on three separate occasions in the King's Road. Strictly speaking in roads just off to the side but the King's Road was the way to and from. 1973-75, again in the mid 80s when freelancing and finally the late 80s. Plus I was married at the Town Hall. So I've seen a lot of changes in my life time.
This picture from the 70s of 'The Great Gear Trading Company' is now the site of Marks & Spencer, surrounded by mobile phone shops. Back then this market was one of many clothing outlets while in the centre was a record store. It was here in 1974 that I wandered one lunchtime and heard this very tasty guitar solo.
It's Mick Taylor playing on 'Time Waits For No One' off the Rolling Stones "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" album... and I like it !
Pity there's no actual footage of the band performing this track, just some nice stills of them, albeit some not of this time. 
This was Mike Taylor's last record with the Stones. Great way to play out and I love the ticking clock rhythm background and Nicky Hopkins tumbling piano at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment