Friday 20 July 2018


On our recent flight to California the on-board entertainment system wasn't working. For 12 hours we sat with none of the usual distractions to pass the time. We didn't see one film (even on my first long haul flight to California there were two films shown to everyone on board). But these days we travel with our own personal entertainment gadgets, so for almost half the flight I was attached to my smart phone and listening to music. 
Having not done this for awhile, I wasn't sure what tunes I had on there.... 
And maybe because my kids who came on many an American adventure with me, I found myself playing a lot of their music. The 25 year old in me coming out again as I'd forgotten how much of their music I really liked: I use to make these CD compilations called 'Bill's Kids'*, containing mostly their favourites plus a few similar tracks of mine (see three pictured left.) 
Bit of a long haul introduction this but I am getting there, promise...
Anyway Andrew W.K. was the first artist featured on the first CD. One of life's best teenage philosophers his songs and lyrics where no nonsense affairs. 'We Want Fun', 'It's Time To Party', 'Party Hard', 'Fun Night', the message was clear. No video to watch, so headphones on, volume set to 11 - this is a typical chunk of 'jackass' hard-rock from the 2001 album 'I Get Wet' called "Got To Do It" -
"Gotta do all the stuff that you love"


* Actually I made eight different CDs during this time. Not quite the collection managed by 'Now That's What I Call Music', the biggest-selling compilation series in the world, that reaches No.100 today. Amazing achievement, but 'Now 'Bill's Kids' is what I call music ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment