Friday 22 June 2018


This week 70 years ago the world was introduced via a demonstration by Columbia Records to the Long Player disk. Edward Wallerstein, one of Columbia's bigwigs, presented to a stunned press gathered in a suite at the Waldorf Hotel on Park Avenue a 'Revolutionary Disk Marvel'. More on that story >
How about we celebrate that anniversary by attempting to pick a favourite LP of all time ? To indicate how difficult this might prove, I recall often naming my favourite album of a particular year: "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" (1968), "After the Goldrush" (1970), "Teaser and the Firecat" (1971), "Argus" (1972), "Wish You Were Here" (1975), "Breakfast in America" (1979), "Making Movies" (1980), "Automatic For The People" (1992) and so on.
Meaning my attempts to pick just one is possibly an impossible decision. So like the proverbial stick a pin in with with your eyes closed, today's STAR TRACK is off "Making Movies" by Dire StraitsSide One, track one 'Tunnel of Love'. 
Here's a version, live from Wembley in 1985 (I am in the audience somewhere). 'Tunnel of Love' is probably my favourite Dire Straits track and this solo still gives me goosebumps. NB: A two-part video, this is only the 2nd half of the song, ending the concert to loud applause.


Knowing how last September when I asked you all to name your favourite band for each decade I'm sure you will have some fun racking your brains picking your favourite LP of all time. Answers please by next week on an email to ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment