Wednesday 27 September 2017

Do the DLR in a day

This was my working title as I set out. If I'd realised the frequency and how fast the trains were on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) plus how few stations it involved I'd have known it wasn't going to take all day. 
(The entire District line from Wimbledon to Upminster has 41 stations and this takes an hour and a half. The DLR has just 45 stations total and the world record for passing through all stops is just under 1hr 54mins). The various interchanges clearly add time to your journey, but the area and distances covered are relatively small. Even taking into account, as before, my own set of 'Tube Challenge' rules that you take time to look around places while you're there, this was not an all day affair. 
The interesting thing about the DLR, if you didn't know, is that there is no train driver ! The automated system opened in 1987 to serve the redevelopment of London's Docklands area.

I began at the Bank
No driver, so everyone wants to sit at the very front and enjoy a driver's eye view. I fail to achieve this at first, but do manage it for a great deal of the trip.
My initial destination is Lewisham passing through the futuristic landscape of Canary Wharf.
On my return journey I get off at 'Cutty Sark' and walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel, under the River Thames, (something I've never done before). The next diversion is to walk a section from Cross Harbour to South Quay to see a bend that enables you to see both sides of the train plus it's reflection in the glass building behind.
Back on board to Canary Wharf where I get a different train (and line) to Stratford. This station is also very modern but the spur to the grandly named Stratford International is disappointing, serving to take you to the larger train terminal but little else.
The line southwards running to Woolwich Arsenal goes past the old disused docks and London City airport while the tunnel under the Thames into the station is great from a driver's perspective. Lunch at Woolwich, which is a strange mix of cultures, old and new, shabby and smart.
Back up the same line I get off at King George V station and walk through a rather rundown area, rather quickly it should be said, and over the bridges by the airport to Gallion's Reach station. Planes landing more often than I'd expected against an increasingly darkening sky.
Gallion's Reach being on the Beckton branch meant I could go to the end of this line before returning along the north side of the airport past the Excel centre, the Dome and eventually back past the Canary skyscrapers and into London at Tower Gateway.
It had taken me 4 hours and 15 minutes to complete.
NB: Additional line extensions and therefore stations are planned in the near future. Another visit will be necessary soon.

A helpful more geographically accurate map of the DLR below (plus a few photos).
Coming into Heron Quays station - I'm driving !
Plane landing at London City airport.
Dramatic skies over London and the City airport.
Tunnel vision > Greenwich foot tunnel (left) & DLR train approaching Canary Wharf station.

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful when you can be a "tourist" in your own country, and how much more often we should. Completely shifts the perspective, and we get to become different people in our own backyard.

    Thanks Bloke ~~

    ReplyDelete