Friday 6 November 2020

There's a few reasons behind today's choice of Star Track.
First off there's the song itself. Take two fine instrumentalists, singer/bassist Janice Marie Johnson and singer/guitarist Hazel P. Payne. A belting bass-line, gibberish lyrics of euphoric silliness and some fine guitar solos. Mixed together by keyboardist Perry Kibble and Janice Marie Johnson who wrote the song between them and you have a huge No.1 hit single.
Then there's the fact that until very recently I'd never seen this track performed. I knew it well enough, released in June 1978, it was a hit in the UK that August and then an American No.1 in September, but I missed seeing it on any TV. So until I saw this video, from 1978, I had no idea what I'd missed.
Finally I remember how popular the single was at the time when my mates were running their Mobile Disco called 'San Fran Disco'. A guaranteed floor filler and among one of the songs I immediately associate with those heady disco days.
So get your boogie boots on for A Taste of Honey with 'Boogie Oogie Oogie':


Here's the card I did for 'San Fran Disco' proprietors, Messrs Parker & Mackinlay (Ray and Don) for their promotional use.  



No comments:

Post a Comment