Friday 30 October 2020

Hands up if you have heard of the 'Jerusalema Dance Challenge' ?
With the NEWS seemingly on rewind and full of nothing good these days, this song may provide an antidote. The full story of the 'Challenge' I will let you research if you want. The brief outline is South African DJ Master KG released this single last year - real name Kgaogelo Moagi, it features female vocalist Nocembo Zikode. Wikipedia calls it 'Gospel-house disco dance'.
I'm not sure about the music. Somedays I like it and others it's more "I can't get this tune out of my head" kind of feeling, in the way that a happy song can also be annoying. But the dancing is great ! And in these socially distanced times, ideal.
During the Covid pandemic and various lockdowns videos of people dancing to the song sparked a global trend and there are versions everywhere of groups taking up the challenge to join in - bringing hope from Africa to the World.
The South African film industry put this video together which I really like. Initially there was a long action intro but I found this edit, however it requires a time frame I think: 

Video timeline is: 
Action Intro to 1:20 - and it's a wrap !
Music starts 1:40
Dancing starts 1:55
Silent credits from 5:50 onwards, to the end 
- This then is 'Jerusalema' by Master KG >

Click here for more dancing (joyful, rubber limbed kids in this one):


No comments:

Post a Comment