Friday 9 October 2020


It was back in 1970 that I fell in love with Neil Young. Since then we've been through some times together... It all began with 'After the Gold Rush' and basically continues to this day. 
Through all those different phases, I have LPs and CDs, tapes and downloads - Crazy Horse, the extended electric 'live' jams, 'Rust Never Sleeps', 'Sleeps with Angels', 'Harvest Moon', 'Chrome Dreams', 'Mirror Ball' with Pearl Jam, Living with War protest songs, 'Psychedelic Pills', even the 1983 electronic experiment that was 'Trans'. It's been quite a journey (through the past) - "Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun".
The reason for my timing is that it is 50 years since 'After the Gold Rush' - it was released in the US mid September 1970, but came out a month later in the UK, meaning it was probably November before a mate played me this album and I was hooked.
Picking from such a long list of favourite tracks was always going to be impossible (no doubt you all have a different list to me) but in the spirit of the occasion I'm starting with the very first song I heard, namely side one, 'After the Gold Rush' LP - track one: 'Tell Me Why'.
 

I found a 'live' version from 1976 > www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH0T8QkGOgs 
but the harmonies on the original are just the best, so no video, just the album sleeve.
> This record is the only ever album I wore out playing. I actually replaced the original as it begun to sound a bit fuzzy. I still have both copies though !   

This is just the start of a special Neil Young related session. Log back in Midweek for more. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment