Thursday 31 December 2020

A   P E R S O N A L   M E M O R Y
 
---   W  E  S    W  I  L  S  O  N   ---

During the Summer of 1968 I began painting and creating lots of 'pop' art posters. They were little more than copycat versions of all the 'Flower Power' artwork I was seeing in magazines, newspapers and on LP covers. At the time I was barely aware of the artists I was being inspired by, those working in San Francisco like Rick Griffin, Kelley/Mouse studios and Wes Wilson. The amazing 'hippy' posters for concerts really caught my eye and it was these that I was attempting to mimic in my early attempts at psychedelic/dayglo paintings. 
What especially attracted me was all the far-out lettering, often difficult to read it intrigued me constantly. Wes Wilson was a pioneer in this and created a unique style for concerts produced by Bill Graham at the Fillmore Auditorium. Drawing type in shapes formed a big part of my early graphic designs and a future was evolving thanks to Wes and the many other artists from this time.
Below are some of his posters created in the late 60s, featuring some legendary bands. 
Two concerts for the Yardbirds, The Doors & Richie Havens (left) and The Byrds (right).
(Left): Moby Grape & The Chambers Brothers. (Right) Otis Rush, Grateful Dead &
The Canned Heat Blues Band
.

My favourite story goes as follows: 'quote'
"Well, it's nice, but I can't read it," Mr. Graham is said to have remarked.
"Yeah", Mr. Wilson responded, "and that's why people are gonna stop and look at it."
Remembering Wes Wilson, who died in January of this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment