Friday 7 September 2018


A curious case of coincidence:
Last weekend I'm driving down to the van at Hurley. It's early and I'm skipping stations on the car radio. Eventually tuning into Smooth Radio they play this track just as I'm arriving. I know it, but can't put a name to it. 
Four days later I start the car to drive back and the radio is only playing the exact same song. What are the chances ?  
The connection is all the more coincidental because up the road from Hurley, in Henley, is where Dusty Springfield died and there's a grave marker in St. Mary's Churchyard.

I always thought this track was an old song from Dusty Springfield being sampled by the synthpoppers Pet Shop Boys. It isn't, it just sounds like a 60s tune. A huge worldwide hit in 1987 'What Have I Done To Deserve This?' performed here to a lack of audience reaction and with the lip sync running off track by the end (or is that me?) ! More strange goings-on.


That 60s sound I imagined, is captured by this from 1964. 'I Only Want To Be With You' > www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7t22rypew
Did You Know... ? In the US, Dusty Springfield was the second artist of the British Invasion, after The Beatles, to have a hit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment